1. Lehnhardt E. Sudden hearing disorders occurring simultaneously or successively on both sides. Z Laryngol Rhinol Otol 1958; 37(1):1—16.
2. McCabe BF. Autoimmune sensorineural hearing loss. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 1979; 88(5 Pt 1): 585-589.
3. Hughes GB, Barna BP, Kinney SE, et al. Clinical diagnosis of immune inner-ear disease. Laryngoscope 1988; 98(3):251-253.
4. Moscicki RA, San Martin JE, Quintero CH, et al. Serum antibody to inner ear proteins in patients with progressive hearing loss. Correlation with disease activity and response to corticosteroid treatment. JAMA 1994; 272(8):611-616.
5. Rauch SD. Clinical management of immune-mediated inner-ear disease. Ann NY Acad Sci 1997; 29 (830):203-210.
6. Sismanis A, Wise CM, Johnson GD. Methotrexate management of immune-mediated cochleoves-tibular disorders. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 1997; 116(2):146-152.
7. Lasak JM, Sataloff RT, Hawkshaw M, et al. Autoimmune inner ear disease: steroid and cytotoxic drug therapy. Ear Nose Throat J 2001; 80(11):808-811.
8. Harris JP, Weisman MH, Derebery JM, et al. Treatment of corticosteroid-responsive autoimmune inner ear disease with methotrexate: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA 2003; 290(14):1875-1883.
9. Broughton SS, Meyerhoff WE, Cohen SB. Immune-mediated inner ear disease: 10-year experience. Semin Arthritis Rheum 2004; 34(2):544-548.
10. Loveman DM, de Comarmond C, Cepero R, et al. Autoimmune sensorineural hearing loss: clinical course and treatment outcome. Semin Arthritis Rheum 2004; 34(2):538-543.
11. Cohen S, Shoup A, Weisman MH, et al. Etanercept treatment for autoimmune inner ear disease: results of a pilot placebo-controlled study. Otol Neurotol 2005; 26(5):903-907.
12. Matteson EL, Choi HK, Poe DS, et al. Etanercept therapy for immune-mediated cochleovestibular disorders: a multi-center, open-label, pilot study. Arthritis Rheum 2005; 53(3):337-342.
13. Harris JP. Immunology of the inner ear: response of the inner ear to antigen challenge. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 1983; 91(1):18-32.
14. Harris JP. Immunology of the inner ear: evidence of local antibody production. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 1984; 93(2 Pt 1):157-162.
15. Tomiyama S, Harris JP. The endolymphatic sac: its importance in inner ear immune responses. Laryngoscope 1986; 96(6):685-691.
16. Tomiyama S, Harris JP. The role of the endolymphatic sac in inner ear immunity. Acta Otolaryngol 1987; 103(3-4):182-188.
17. Gloddek B, Harris JP. Role of lymphokines in the immune response of the inner ear. Acta Otolaryngol 1989; 108(1-2):68-75.
18. Suzuki M, Harris JP. Expression of intercellular adhesion molecule-1 during inner ear inflammation. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 1995; 104(1):69-75.
19. Takasu T, Harris JP. Reduction of inner ear inflammation by treatment with anti-ICAM-1 antibody. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 1997; 106(12):1070-1075.
20. Ichimiya I, Yoshida K, Suzuki M, et al. Expression of adhesion molecules by cultured spiral ligament fibrocytes stimulated with proinflammatory cytokines. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 2003; 112(8):722-728.
21. Harris JP, Fukuda S, Keithley EM. Spiral modiolar vein: its importance in inner ear inflammation. Acta Otolaryngol 1990; 110(5-6):357-365.
22. Harris JP, Heydt J, Keithley EM, et al. Immunopathology of the inner ear: an update. Ann NY Acad Sci 1997; 830:166-178.
23. Keithley EM, Harris JP. Late sequelae of cochlear infection. Laryngoscope 1996; 106(3 Pt 1):341-345.
24. Beickert P. On the problem of perception deafness and autoallergy. Z Laryngol Rhinol Otol 1961; 40:837-842.
25. Yoo TJ, Tomoda K, Stuart JM, et al. Type II collagen-induced autoimmune sensorineural hearing loss and vestibular dysfunction in rats. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 1983; 92(3 Pt 1):267-271.
26. Harris JP. Experimental autoimmune sensorineural hearing loss. Laryngoscope 1987; 97(1):63-76.
27. Zajic G, Nair TS, Ptok M, et al. Monoclonal antibodies to inner ear antigens: I. antigens expressed by supporting cells of the guinea pig cochlea. Hear Res 1991; 52(1):59-71.
28. Nair TS, Prieskorn DM, Miller JM, et al. In vivo binding and hearing loss after intracochlear infusion of KHRI-3 antibody. Hear Res 1997; 107(1-2):93-101.
29. Nair TS, Kozma KE, Hoefling NL, et al. Identification and characterization of choline transporter-like protein 2, an inner ear glycoprotein of 68 and 72 kDa that is the target of antibody-induced hearing loss. J Neurosci 2004; 24(7):1772-1779.
30. Harris JP, Gopen Q. Immunosuppression in Meniere's disease. Mini-symposium-4. Immune disorders of the inner ear. Proceedings of the 5th International Symposium on Meniere's disease and inner ear homeostasis disorders, Los Angeles, CA, Apr 2-5, 2005:79-81.
30a. Niparko JK, Wang N-Y, Rauch SD, et al. Serial Audiometry in a Clinical Trial of AIED Treatment. Otol Neurotol 2005; 26(5):908-918.
31. Harris JP, Sharp PA. Inner ear autoantibodies in patients with rapidly progressive sensorineural hearing loss. Laryngoscope 1990; 100(5):516-524.
32. Gottschlich S, Billings PB, Keithley EM, et al. Assessment of serum antibodies in patients with rapidly progressive sensorineural hearing loss and Meniere's disease. Laryngoscope 1995; 105(12 Pt 1):1347-1352.
33. Hirose K, Wener MH, Duckert LG. Utility of laboratory testing in autoimmune inner ear disease. Laryngoscope 1999; 109(11):1749-1754.
34. Kosaka K, Yamanobe S, Tomiyama S, et al. Inner ear autoantibodies in patients with sensorineural hearing loss. Acta Otolaryngol Suppl 1995; 519:176-177.
35. Harris JP, Keithley EM. Autoimmune inner ear disease. In: Snow JB, Ballenger JJ, eds. Ballenger's Otorhinolaryngology: Head and Neck Surgery. 16th ed. Ontario, Canada: BC Decker, 2002:396-407.
36. Luetje CM. Theoretical and practical implications for plasmapheresis in autoimmune inner ear disease. Laryngoscope 1989; 99(11):1137-1146.
37. Luetje CM, Berliner KI. Plasmapheresis in autoimmune inner ear disease: long-term follow-up. Am J Otol 1997; 18(5):572-576.
38. Parnes LS, Sun AH, Freeman DJ. Corticosteroid pharmacokinetics in the inner ear fluids: an animal study followed by clinical application. Laryngoscope 1999; 109(7 Pt 2):1-17.
Was this article helpful?
Have you recently experienced hearing loss? Most probably you need hearing aids, but don't know much about them. To learn everything you need to know about hearing aids, read the eBook, Hearing Aids Inside Out. The book comprises 113 pages of excellent content utterly free of technical jargon, written in simple language, and in a flowing style that can easily be read and understood by all.