After completing this chapter, the student will be able to:
1. Describe the systems involved in hemostasis.
2. Describe the interaction of the vascular system and platelets with regard to activation, adhesion, and vasoconstriction.
3. Identify the process involved in the coagulation cascade from activation to stable clot formation.
4. Describe the role of platelets in hemostasis with respect to platelet glycoproteins, platelet biochemistry, and platelet function.
5. Define the difference between primary and secondary hemostasis.
6. Outline the intrinsic and extrinsic pathways, the factors involved in each, and their role in the coagulation system.
7. List the coagulation factors, their common names, and function.
8. Explain the interaction between the prothrom-bin time, activated partial thromboplastin time, and factor assays.
9. Identify the relationship of the kinin and complement systems to coagulation.
10. Identify the inhibitors and their role in hemostasis.
Was this article helpful?