Albinism • Partial or total absence of pigment in the hair, skin, and eyes
Convalescence • Period of recovery after a disease or surgery
Photophobia • Unusual intolerance of light
Prognostic • Prediction of the chance for recovery
Pyknosis • Shrinkage of cells through degeneration
Rhinorrhea • Excessive watery discharge from nose
Sepsis • Systemic inflammatory response to infection that includes symptoms such as fever, hypothermia, tachycardia, and others
1. Van Assendelft OW Reference values for the total and differential leukocyte count. Blood Cells 11:77-96, 1985.
2. Barnes EJ, Abdel-Rehim MM, Goulis Y, et al. Application and limitation of blood eosinophilia for the diagnosis of acute cellular rejection in liver transplantation. Am J Transplant 3:432-438, 2003.
3. Wiseman BK. A newly recognized granulopenic syndrome caused by excessive splenic leukolysis and successfully treated by splenectomy. J Clin Invest 18:473, 1939.
4. Turgeon ML. Clinical Hematology: Theory and Procedures, 4th ed. Baltimore: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2005; 196-200.
5. Ponder E, Ponder RV. The cytology of the polymor-
phonuclear leukocyte in toxic conditions. J Lab Clin Med 28:316, 1942.
6. Malcolm ID, Flegel KM, Katz M. Vacuolation of the neutrophil in bacteremia. Arch Intern Med 139:675, 1979.
7. Foley A. Nonmalignant hereditary disorders of leukocyte. In: Steine-Martin EA, Lotspeich-Steininger CA, Koepke JA. Clinical Hematology: Principles, Procedures, Correlations, 2nd ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott, 1998; 365.
8. Baetz K, Isaaz S, Griffith SG. Loss of cytotoxic T lymphocyte function in Chediak-Higashi syndrome arises from a secretory defect that prevents granule exocytosis. J Immunol 154:6122, 1995.
9. Eng TR, Harkess JR, Fishbein DB, et al. Epidemiological clinical and laboratory findings of human ehrlichiosis in the U.S. in 1988. JAMA 264;2252-2258, 1990.
10. Bakken JS. Ask the experts: Differentiating human ehrlichiosis from other tick borne illnesses. Infect Dis News September:14-15, 1995.
11. James E. Unmasking infectious mononucleosis. ADVANCE for Medical Laboratory Professionals. March 22, 2004.
12. Kolodney EH, Tenembaum AL. Storage diseases of the reticuloendothelial system. In: Nathan and Oski's Hematology of Infancy and Childhood, 4th ed. Philadelphia: WB Saunders, 1992; 1453-1464.
13. Graubowski GA, Pastores GM. Enzyme replacement therapy in type I Gaucher disease. Gaucher Clin Per-spect 1:8, 1993.
14. Harmening DM, Spier CM. Lipid (lysosomal) storage disease and histiocytosis. In: Harmening DM, ed. Clinical Hematology and Fundamentals of Hemostasis, 4th ed. Philadelphia: FA Davis, 2002; 633.
This page has been left intentionally blank.
Was this article helpful?