Alloimmunization • Antibodies that occur as a result of antigens introduced to the body through blood and tissue
Consanguinity • Relationships among close blood relatives
Cryoprecipitate • Product derived from fresh frozen plasma that is rich in factor VIII, von Willebrand factor, and fibrinogen
Cytotoxic • Antibody or toxin that attacks the cells of particular organs
Hemangiomas • Benign tumor of dilated blood vessels
HLA • Human leukocyte antigens, which are found in white blood cells and are part of the major histocompatibil-ity complex
Hyperviscosity • Excessive resistance to the flow of liquids
Menorrhagia • Excessive menstrual bleeding
Microangiopathic • Related to pathology of small blood vessels
Paresthesias • Abnormal sensation that results from an injury to one or more nerves, described as numbness or prickly or tingling feeling
Telangiectasia • Vascular lesion formed by dilation of a group of small blood vessels, most frequently seen on face and thighs
1. Glassy E, ed. Color Atlas of Hematology: An Illustrated Field Guide based on Proficiency Testing. Illinois: Chicogo College of American Pathologists, 1998: 206.
2. Bruce L. Quantitative disorders of platelets. In: Rodak B, ed. Hematology: Clinical Principles and Applications, 2nd ed. Philadelphia: WB Saunders, 2002: 686.
3. Wolf BC, Neiman RS. Disorders of the Spleen. Philadelphia: WB Saunders, 1989: 22.
4. Blaney KD, Howard PR. Basic and Applied Concepts of Immunohematology. Boston: Mosby, 2000: 304.
5. vanden Bent PM, Meyboom PH, Egberts AC. Drug induced thrombocytopenia. Drug Saf 27:1243-1252, 2004.
6. Bengston K, Skinner M, Ware R. Successful use of anti-CD20 (Rituximab) in severe life threatening childhood ITP J Pediatr 143:670-673, 2003.
7. Michel M, et al. Does Helicobacter pylori initiate or perpetuate immune thrombocytopenia purpura? Blood 103:890, 2004.
8. Ezra Y, Rose M, Eldor H. Therapy and prevention of thrombotic thrombocytopenia purpura during pregnancy: A clinical study of 16 pregnancies. Am J Hematol 51:1-6, 1996.
9. Zheng X, Chung D, Tekayama TK, et al. Structure of von Willebrand factor cleaving protease (ADAMS-13), a metalloprotease involved in thrombotic thrombocy-topenic purpura. J Biol Chem 270:41059-41063, 2001.
10. Levy GC, Nicolas WC, Lian EC, et al. Mutations in a member of the ADAMTS gene family causing throm-botic thrombocytopenic purpura. Nature 413:488-494, 2001.
11. Kwaan HC, Soff GA. Management of thrombotic throm- 17 bocytopenic purpura and hemolytic uremic syndrome. Semin Hematol 34:159-166, 1997.
12. Bell A. Extracorpuscular defects leading to increased 1B erythrocyte destruction: Nonimmune causes. In:
Rodak B, ed. Hematology: Clinical Principles and Applications, 2nd ed Philadelphia: WB Saunders, 2GG2: 67. 19
13. Bruce L. Quantitative disorders of platelets. In Rodak B, ed. Hematology: Clinical Principles and Applications,
2nd ed. Philadelphia: WB Saunders, 2GG2: 697. 2G
14. Sondoval C, Dong S, Visintainer P. Clinical and laboratory features of 17B children with recurrent epistaxis. J 21 Pediatr Hematol 24:47-49, 2GG2.
15. Saxena R, Gupta M, Gupta PC. Inherited bleeding disor- 22 ders in Indian women with menorrhagia. Hemophilia 9:193-196, 2GG3.
16. Lusher J. An underlying cause of menorrhagia. Mod 23 Med 63:3G-31, 1995.
Philips MD, Santhouse A. von Willebrand disease: Recent advances in pathophysiology and treatment. Am J Med Sci August:77-86, 1998. Liles DK, Knupp CL. Quantitative and qualitative platelet disorders and vascular disorders. In: Harmening D, ed. Clinical Hematology and Fundamentals of Hemostasis. Philadelphia: FA Davis, 2002: 481. Kunishima S, Kamiya T, Saito H. Genetic abnormalities of Bernard-Soulier syndrome. Int J Hematol 76: 319-327, 2002.
Rogers RL, Lazarchick J. Identifying Glanzmann's thrombasthenia. Lab Med 27:579-581, 1996. Paper R, Kelley LA. A Guide to Living With von Willebrand Disease. Pennsylvania: Aventis Bering, 2002: 53. Castellone D. Down and Dirty Coagulation: Practical Solutions and Answers. ASCP Workshop, May 7, 2004, Abstract 5799, Baltimore, MD. Bick RL, Scates SM. Qualitative platelet defects. Lab Med 23:95-103,1992.
Was this article helpful?